So last week I got antsy and wanted to look at dresses at David’s Bridal for Amanda and Kristen (matron of honor and maid of honor). I took Amanda to Geno’s--a local tuxedo shop where we are getting the tuxes from--to try on some dresses they had there, and found one or two that were “nice” but not “the one” for them to wear.
So later that evening after we ate dinner Kristen, Amanda and I ran to David’s Bridal. The trip that was to be about them ended up being about me as well. I tried on a few but only one really stuck out. We had the girl mark it down for when mom was to come in town the next week. Amanda and Kristen went in and out of the dressing room and nothing boiled me over or gave me that “yes! This is it!” feeling. I pondered over dresses they tried on and ones I tried on for the next week.
Mom came in town this past Tuesday the 16th and on Wednesday the 17th, mom, Amanda, Kristen, Mrs. Patti and I, (along with a couple of Kristen’s family members) met at David’s Bridal for an evening of fun! I showed them the one dress that we liked from there and although everyone thought it was pretty I still didn’t feel it was quite right. The color was nice (Ivory and Champagne) and looks good with my skin tone but I didn’t get butterflies or feel excited. I tried a few others on and found NOTHING.
So the focus went to bridesmaids dresses. We showed my mom the ones from when we had been the week before and no one went “Wow” so I knew those were not the dresses either. I was beginning to get depressed and worried. Then Mrs. Patti (James’ mom) found this beautiful green dress (we had thrown the green color idea around but not this soft, delicate green color). I lit up, I loved that color. We searched a couple different styles in that color and found the one. It swoops to the side at their waist and has some decorative stuff at the chest. It is strapless but comes with spaghetti straps which I think they would like to use so they aren’t tugging at their chest all evening!
I was ecstatic! We found their dress! We had Avery, my niece, put her flower girl dress on and had her stand next to Amanda with her dress on. It was nice and they had a bow for Avery that was the same color as the bridesmaids dresses that ties around her little waist with a bow in the back. Her dress is Ivory. The soft colors of the Ivory with that soft green (peridot) looked great together, and very Fall. The guys will be wearing a very deep brown, European style tux so we found a dress that was the same color brown. Kristen held the brown dress next to Amanda and Avery with their dresses on and everyone’s eyes popped and looked at each other and were like, “That’s It!!!!” Even the 2 girls working at David’s Bridal who were helping us looked at each other and said “I never would have put that together but it’s lovely” I knew it was the right dress then! At least we got that accomplished.
The next day I was off so mom and I headed out to meet with the people at Talon Winery (the place we were wanting to get married). It’s as pretty as a vineyard out in California according to James. I had not seen it and neither had mom. We walked around with the lady and talked through where things would go, how we would decorate, flower ideas, ceremony and reception stuff for the longest time. We were beginning to picture it. Mom looked at me and said “This would be a lot of fun!” I knew then it was the place.
There is a gazebo called the Moondance gazebo where we would be married at the edge of a vineyard. The center aisle is actually through the vineyard so I will emerge from the vineyard. It’s beautiful! Then a short walk away is the Barn. It sounds bad I know but this is the hippest, coolest barn I have ever been in (not that I have been in many). The lady showed some decorating ideas previous brides had used, and we began planning where the cake, and food, and band and everything else we could think of would go.
I got excited!!!!! This was actually going to happen. Mom loved as did I. Amanda and the girls met us there (girls meaning Avery and Mattie--my nieces). Amanda started coming up with ideas as well and before you knew it we had the whole thing worked up in our minds and were starting to see the end result as we stood there!
We all proceeded to lunch at Olive Garden for some yummy soup and salad. We talked over ideas some more and got all excited! It was going to be a lovely yet totally fun wedding and reception! Mom and I left lunch with Amanda and the girls and headed to a couple of florists. We found a bouquet that I LOVED and will hopefully be the one I will have. It’s the perfect bouquet and I hope it works out to get it. I may take him by there and show him so he can see. He is good at designing stuff so he might have some ideas.
Just for fun, mom and I ran by Geno’s so she could see the tuxes James and I had selected. She loved the deep brown color and thought it would be perfect for the fall! Since it was across the street we stopped at another bridal shop but didn’t see any dresses there. We went to another place in town and found one we liked but I still didn’t get the “That’s it!” feeling. There was one more place to try, and I wasn’t very hopeful in finding it there. We walked in spotted one instantly that we liked and the lady took it off the display. We looked around as the girl started us a dressing room and found several good choices. One caught my eye from the beginning that had the coolest material for the sleeves. It was elegant, different, and made me feel like a million bucks! It was THE DRESS!!!!! I couldn’t believe I actually had “the dress” on! I got tears in my eyes (although I didn’t let anyone see) and instantly knew it was “the one!!” Of course it was the most expensive and mom would have to talk to dad, but I knew in my heart it would all work out. I was willing to cut corners anywhere else in the wedding planning to make this dress make the cut!!
Amanda came with the girls after mom called her and said we think we found the dress. She loved it, it was different so it took her a minute to decide but she loved it and said it looked like me! Mom wanted to wait and talk to dad about it so sadly I left knowing there was only one in the warehouse in my size, another would have to be ordered and it wouldn’t ship till Sept.11 which would cut it close to the wedding for alterations and such.
Today at lunch I went to Amanda’s house and walked in to mom talking to dad about the dress. She hung up and gave me the news that IT’S GOING TO BE MY DRESS!!!! I couldn’t believe it!!!! Dad flies in tonight to Lexington so we are going to show him the winery and the dress tomorrow!! I can’t wait to put it back on!!!!!!!! He is going to love it!
So I ended on a happy note yesterday and I have not stopped thinking about that dress since. I will definitely feel like a princess on October 23, 2009 thanks to an incredible man who is choosing to spend the rest of his life with me and the beautifully stunning gown I will be wearing! I am so thankful!
No comments:
Post a Comment